Feb/march Challenge

All about the TDS monthly challenges...

Feb/march Challenge

Postby Fogey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Sorry for the delay, folks.

With the sun in a very low equinox this time of year, the challenge for February/March is Back-lit.

So any back-lit photographs with good shadows, silhouettes and the like - bring 'em on. :lol:

The album can be found here. http://thedigitalsite.co.uk/Gallery/upload.php?album=87.

The challenge will end on 15th March 2011.
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

http://fogeysplace.co.uk/
Fogey

Re: Feb/march Challenge

Postby TekkieAnne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 pm

What sun????
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Postby TekkieAnne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Still no sun. :cry:
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

TekkieAnne

Postby Fogey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Well the challenge lasts till the 15th of next month.
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

Fogey

Postby Pipeman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Entries in. :)
A bit like Victor Meldrew.
Pipeman

Postby jane_t » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 pm

A one from me ( got confused with the Theme Comp sorry)
Jane.
Leave only footprints, and take only photographs.
jane_t

Postby Fogey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:14 am

Here are the critiques for the February/March challenge.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions; don't be offended by anything I've said. The important thing is whether YOU liked your picture.

There are thumbnail images included in the critiques but if you'd like to see the full size images you may wish to have the competition album open in another browser window or tab and just flip between the two as required.

The critiques presented here are my personal opinions, and should not be construed as being representative of the opinions of the management or membership of The Digital Site.

These critiques are written with the purpose of providing the individual photographers with encouragement and assistance in furthering their photographic skills, and no offence is intended or should be taken by any impression or opinion stated herein. It is also hoped that the presentation of these critiques will entertain as well as enlighten those who read them!

Thank you for taking the time to read these critiques. Do please add to this thread if you disagree with anything I’ve said, or simply have something to say yourself about any of the entries.

Sky on Fire by Shady Marton

Oh Wow! What a beautiful sky. I do like the contrast between the warmth of the sky and the dark silhouette of the rock. Makes me want to go to Spain to retire.

The only thing that spoils this image for me is the central rock. Had the author moved to the right a few feet and framed the rock in the left third of the photograph, more of that wonderful sky would have been shown, which, in my view, would have improved on what is already an excellent image.

Out From Beaumaris by pipeman

This photograph ticks all the boxes for me. Compositionally speaking it is all there; the subject boat occupies the left third of the picture, which is balanced by the moored boats in the mid-ground and the skyline occupies the top third of the frame.

There is so much interest going on with the light reflected water and the wake of the boat. Do I see a hint of colour in the buoy, boats and distant shoreline? Yet the monochromatic appearance suits the subject very well. All this and a sky to die for.

Just a Twig by Pipeman

It is the simplicity of this image that appeals to me. The dark negative space really does make the subject stand out, with it’s tracery of cobwebs.

The letterbox crop suits the diagonal framing of the twig very well and oh!; that rim-light.

All in all a gudun, as they say.

Seedheads by Jane t

I must confess I am having difficulty with this photograph. After a lot of reflection, (no pun intended), I have come to the conclusion that it is the out of focus seed heads in the mid-ground that is bothering me.

The sharpness of the seed heads in the foreground, (and they are razor sharp if you look carefully), are spoiled by the OOF seed heads showing behind them.

Stopping the aperture down by a couple of stops would have brought these seed heads into focus, resulting in a cracking image, in my view, as there is plenty of leeway the with 1/640th sec exposure recorded on the EXIF data to get all the seed heads sharp.

This well spotted photo has great potential and it’s well worth going back, if possible, to experiment.

Backlit flower by Jane t

Now this I like. The author has done exceptionally well with the lighting, that makes the subject positively glow, which in turn ‘makes’ the photograph. I particularly like the subtle lighting of the centre of the bloom allowing the viewer to see all the detail.

A very credible image.

Plough by Lizneil

Another image where simplicity is the key. The author has got the composition spot on, in my view, with the subject occupying the lower third of the frame.

Having three nearly symmetrical ploughs also adds to the picture; and what a beautiful sky to boot. On a lighter note – is that a petrol pump I see on the end of the plough? I would love to know.

An Orse by mervyntattoo

What a lovely ‘orse. I do like the deadpan expression on the ‘orses face. As one of our members, Lensmeister, speaks ‘’orse’, perhaps he can enlighten us as to what the ‘orse is thinking/saying. :lol:

For those of you that have no idea what I am talking about see here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102&p=998&hilit=horse#p998

Seriously, I like the rim-light of the horse’s mane and coat. Given the bright sunlight, the author has done well to get the exposure in the body of the subject spot on.

The darkened background of the hedge makes the subject really stand out. A worthy effort.

Wellington Arch by Fuddy

It’s the unusual angle that makes this photo for me. The author has done well to keep the detail in the horses faces, considering the shot was taken against the sky. I like the composition the angle of shot creates, although a letterbox crop, taking a tad off the top and bottom would help, I feel.

Nonetheless, a well spotted, well taken image.

So now we come to picking a winner. I have looked at these photographs several times and it comes down to three images.

Pipeman’s Just a Twig, for it’s simplicity and clarity,

Jane t’s Backlit Flower, again for it’s simplicity and warmth of colour and

Pipeman’s Out From Beaumaris, for it’s composition, and interesting content.

I think I am going for……………

Pipeman’s Out From Beaumaris

closely followed by

Jane t’s Backlit Flower

And

Pipeman’s Just a Twig.

Congratulations to Ron, and a big well done to Jane - it was very close.

Well done, also to those who entered. :clap:
Jeff.

Fogey

Postby jane_t » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the very interesting reviews Jeff, it's always great to see detailed feedback on images as it helps get me thinking more deeply about images.

Well done to Ron on a lovely winning image.
Jane.
Leave only footprints, and take only photographs.
jane_t

Postby TekkieAnne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Jeff and well done to all that entered. I ducked out of this one so I'm really impressed by ALL the entries.

Congrats Pipey and Jane. Excellent images!!
Anne xx

TekkieAnne

Postby Pipeman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

I am delighted - and congratulations to Jane for her placement. :thumbup:

Well done all entrants and thanks to Jeff for his excellent crits. :thumbup:
A bit like Victor Meldrew.
Pipeman

Next

Return to Challenges