November/December Challenge

All about the TDS monthly challenges...

November/December Challenge

Postby Pipeman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:59 pm

As the guy who will do the crits on the next challenge it has fallen to me to choose a subject.

So often we take photographs by looking ahead, or looking down, so this month's challenge is

Looking Upwards

The interpretation is entirely at your discretion, more imaginative the better, two entries are the maximum and they should be posted to the Challenge Gallery for Nov/Dec which I will now try to set up!

Have fun! ;)

PS - having problems setting up the new Gallery - will be resolved soon, I hope!
A bit like Victor Meldrew.
Pipeman

Re: November/December Challenge

Postby Pipeman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Gallery now open. :thumbup:
Pipeman

Postby TekkieAnne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks Pipey. Looking upwards ... that means I'll fall over. :( :lol:
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Postby Pipeman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Bump!!

11 entries so far - I intend to close this on Monday 13th December, so get your entries in soon please. :thumbup:
Pipeman

Postby Pipeman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Closes at midnight tonight!

Last orders please!
Pipeman

Postby Pipeman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 am

There Here!

Comments and Results for the November/December Challenge.

Here are the critiques for the November/December Challenge Competition – Looking Upwards.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions; don't be offended by anything I've said. The important thing is whether YOU liked your picture.

There are thumbnail images included in the critiques but if you'd like to see the full size images you may wish to have the Challenge album open in another browser window or tab and just flip between the two as required.

The critiques presented here are my personal opinions, and should not be construed as being representative of the opinions of the management or membership of The Digital Site.

These critiques are written with the purpose of providing the individual photographers with encouragement and assistance in furthering their photographic skills, and no offence is intended or should be taken by any impression or opinion stated herein. It is also hoped that the presentation of these critiques will entertain as well as enlighten those who read them!

Thank you for taking the time to read these critiques. Do please add to this thread if you disagree with anything I’ve said, or simply have something to say yourself about any of the entries.

Title: Vulcan XH558

By: Eejit

This one seems to have been quite low, I bet that there was quite a roar.! Excellent detail for a speed of 1/250th. A well composed image with room for the monster to fly into, and a pleasant background sky. Nice shot.

Title.Small Plane
By Value

Comments:
Certainly fits the “looking up” theme. Well caught, I would have liked to see a bit more detail in the underbelly of this old plane and perhaps a little work in editing could have achieved this. The speed of 1/800 has stopped the prop, but one can't have everything! I wonder if a portrait format would have given a better impression of upwards, but then it would have lost some of that lovely sky.

Title.Mistletoe
By Fuddy

Comments:
I am ashamed to admit that I thought that I had never seen mistletoe growing, until I saw this entry. so this entry is educational for me! I have seen trees at a distance with clumps on them and always thought they were old nests!
A well composed image and once again we have a lovely blue sky for background .Nice detail in the tree but little in the mistletoe – that would have been difficult to achieve. A good seasonal entry.

Title.Chinook
By Fogey

Comments:
An excellent capture – sharp with good detail and the blades give the movement such an image demands. Blue sky again!

Title. Tarmac Sky
By.Photo1grapher

Comments:

Ah, right! I assume that this was taken especially for the Challenge from a taxicab stationary on its roof! The author gets 10/10 for originality and for leaving me not knowing what to say about it! Good thinking.
Having said that, I see where this is coming from, that tarmac does look quite sky-like even though the tree roots are lost in heaven.

I wonder if it's like this in upside down land?

Title. No Title
By Mikeyboy

Comments:

I like this one – there is good detail in the building and the wide-ish lens has given it a look of very great hight. The blue sky background sets it off nicely and the tilt gives added interest. Nice one.

Title.Exeter Cathedral
By Fogey

Comments:

This is one of those images that I could look at for ages. No particular focal point but then it doesn't need one. One can only wonder at the craftsmanship that has gone into creating this building. The wide angle comes into its own with shots like this one. Excellent detail in the stonework and,of course, a lovely blue sky with fluffy clouds to give it a good background. Well done.

Title.Home Brew
ByMervyntattoo

Comments:

Hey – I like this. A lot of thought has gone into it and no doubt it took several attempts to get it right. The effort involved in getting down for the low angle necessary to “Look Up” for this one is to be applauded! It appears to have been taken indoors although my first reaction was that it was out in the garden and the background was a garden umbrella, but I don't think so, more likely it's down to the author's sitting room or kitchen decorations. The background colours might be considered a distraction to some but, for me, they do not distract me from the subject matter. Original thinking.

Title.Red Arrows
ByTekkieAnne

Comments:

Well caught – for me they would have been past and gone whilst I was choosing my settings! A well cropped image which shows the expertise with which they fly these machines so precisely. Only hope that the cuts don't get them!
Nice one – lovely colours and detail.

Title.Seagull
ByTekkieAnne

Comments:

Well done – I find that catching birds in flight one of the most challenging aspects of photography. Unlike planes, birds are not predictable and can twist and turn whenever they see bread being thrown to them or chips laying about! This is sharp, loads of detail in the wing, and nicely isolated against the plain background. Great capture.

Title.Ever Upwards
ByOnedayimight.

Comments:

I expected several along this theme but it was not to be. A walk in the woods always has me looking around and marvelling at the hundreds of shades of green that abound. This image has caught those colours well, and also the multitude of blues in the sky as the light peeps through the high branches illuminating the lower leaves.

Like it lots.

Must stop – I'm beginning to wax lyrical!

Title.Tornado
ByCal

Comments:

This one screams “Power, Sinister, War” to me – it dashes across the screen on it's way to another battle.

There's no Exif available so only the author knows the settings, but they were certainly good enough to stop this fast moving machine in its tracks!

It's an imposing image with impact but I feel that a little more detail in the underbelly would have added even more impact.

So that's it, my views only remember, and I have to choose a winner which is the hardest part of this exercise.

In reverse order, I am going for Third with Allan's Ever Upwards,

Second Place goes to Anne for her Seagull

and the Winner is Home Brew by Mervyntattoo , partly because every time I look at it I think “If he misses then all that lot is going on him or his camera!” It's a great shot which covers the Challenge perfectly.

Well done everyone and thanks for your entries.
Pipeman

Postby Fogey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 am

Thank you Ron, for your time and effort.

A good set of critiques on what has been a difficult choice for you.

Congratulations to the winner and runners up; well done to all the entrants.

Over to you Gareth. :lol:
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

http://fogeysplace.co.uk/
Fogey

Postby Hatter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Congratulations to Mervyn, Anne & Allan. Thanks very much for doing the critiques, Ron - and well done to everyone who entered.

The next challenge will be posted very soon.... :twisted:
Hatter
Site Admin

Postby TekkieAnne » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Lovely critiques Pipey. Thank you.

I don't envy you having to make a choice - there were some good entries this month.

Well done (again) Mervyn and to Allan. Thanks for liking my seagull enough to place it second. I'm well chuffed!
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Return to Challenges