October/November Challenge.

All about the TDS monthly challenges...

October/November Challenge.

Postby Fogey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Now that the challenge is up and running I think it only right that we continue with Sue's (Starsmum) challenge when the old TDS crashed which was any photograph that depicts a television program.

So the challenge for October/November is 'Television Programmes'.

Photo and television program please. :D

Don't forget, up to two photos per entrant, entered in the Challenge Gallery. Happy snapping. :lol:
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

http://fogeysplace.co.uk/
Fogey

Re: October/November Challenge.

Postby Fogey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:02 am

Just to remind everybody that there are nine days left for the Challenge. If you are stuck for ideas, just look at the Gallery to see the the excellent efforts to date. Don't worry if you live outside GB. There is always the Internet to look up different TV programmes in different countries. :D
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

Fogey

Postby Fogey » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Four days to go folks.
Jeff.

Fogey

Postby photo1grapher » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 pm

thanks
photo1grapher

Postby Fogey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Last call. The challenge closes at 6pm tomorrow. :D
Jeff.

Fogey

Oct/Nov Challenge Critiques.

Postby Fogey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Here are the critiques for the October/November Challenge.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions; don't be offended by anything I've said. The important thing is whether YOU liked your picture.

There are thumbnail images included in the critiques but if you'd like to see the full size images you may wish to have the competition album open in another browser window or tab and just flip between the two as required.

These critiques are written with the purpose of providing the individual photographers with encouragement and assistance in furthering their photographic skills, and no offence is intended or should be taken by any impression or opinion stated herein. It is also hoped that the presentation of these critiques will entertain as well as enlighten those who read them!

Thank you for taking the time to read these critiques. Do please add to this thread if you disagree with anything I’ve said, or simply have something to say yourself about any of the entries.

Escape to the Country by TekkieAnne

Well. This certainly is a countrified image. The house in the background ties up well with the title. However, to make more impact to the title, I feel that the house should be more prominent. Maybe a zoom, keeping the house within the frame of the two trees, would improve this image. A very worthy effort though.

Panorame by EEjit

When I first saw this image, it took me about thirty seconds to twig how the title tied up with the challenge. Realisation brought out a guffaw of laughter. Very clever indeed … and the photograph ain’t bad either! :D Technically speaking this photograph is a cracker. I would however have preferred to have seen the sky a tad darker. Well thought out and well presented.

Birds of a Feather by TekkieAnne

A very apt title for these two charming birds! Having bird watched all summer, these sparrows are the most sociable of birds and that reflects in the title. Birds of a Feather indeed! The photograph itself has the focus on the nearest bird and could have done with increased depth of field. The composition is excellent but what lets the photograph down in my view is the noisy background.

Peace and Quiet by mikeyboy

Is there a programme called Peace and Quiet? I’ve searched on the internet and can find no reference to a TV programme with this title. If I’m wrong, perhaps the author can let me know. It’s a shame because in my view this image is exceptional. The autumnal colours reflect very well in the water and project a very peaceful scene. Perhaps a small crop taking out the grass at the bottom of the image might possibly improve the overall composition?

Strictly Come Dancing by Fuddy

I just love the photograph and the idea reflected in the title. That cheeky grin has stolen my heart. :thumbup: The photograph is pin sharp, well composed and very colourful. An excellent idea with such a topical programme.

The Money Programme by Pipeman

Anne and I have discussed this photograph at length. Anne has a theory that the author propped this coin up with some blu-tack which has subsequently been cloned out in post processing. I favour the theory that the coin is propped up on a matchstick. How a spinning coin has been captured at 1/80th of a second and still be so sharp is beyond me. I am seriously impressed.

Songs of Praise by Pipeman

It’s the simplicity of this image that appeals to me. The subject of the photograph fits perfectly with the title. Technically, I am stumped again; how the author has managed to get the shadows and highlights against that orange background is beyond me. Please enlighten me Ron.
Another first class image.

Gone Fishing by Lizneil

Normally, I would be the first to point out a slanting horizon. However, the slanting horizon in this image works very well given the subject. I can imagine being in another boat, taking the photograph and feeling extremely seasick. :sick: The photograph is well exposed, well composed and fits well with the programme title. Another cracking image.

The Flowerpot Men by Hatter

I really laughed when I saw this. The first thing that sprang to my mind was ‘shlobalob’ (am I showing my age?) :lol: I would have loved to have been a bird on the fence watching the neighbours’ faces as the author set this up. Apart from the two main characters, I’m well impressed with how Little Weed has developed – she is now a daffodil! :lol: Brilliant idea which has been well photographed.

Dog Borstal by EEjit

Oh this poor pooch!! The title says it all, which makes me wonder what heinous crime this gorgeous miscreant has committed. I’m really taken with the beguiling expression on this mugshot. Looking at the expression in the dog’s eyes I can imagine him thinking ‘what? What?’ Then again ‘I ain’t saying nuffink’. :lol:

Excellent capture; photographing a black dog is never easy, especially against a white background.

Nash Bridges by superdavebrem77

I really had to stretch myself to find this programme on t’internet. It’s a police series I believe. This is one excellent image! I love the frosted trees and grass with the sunlight dappling across the track. Excellent lead-in lines and perspective. The gradating sky simply adds to the image.

I have found this task very difficult, with so many good entries. I think I am going to choose.......

Dog Borstal by EEjit.

as the winner, just because the photograph is so apt to the title.

These photos were very serious contenders and should be 'mentioned in dispatches'.

The Money Programme by Pipeman.
For sheer technical merit.

Strictly Come Dancing by Fuddy.
For interpretation.

The Flowerpot Men by Hatter.
For interpretation.
Jeff.

Fogey

Re: Oct/Nov Challenge Critiques.

Postby TekkieAnne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks Jeff for these really amusing critiques. I really enjoyed reading them. You are absolutely right about my photographs - they are crap. :lol: :lol:

Also, many thanks to Sue for the idea for this challenge.

I think that those who took up the challenge certainly entered into the spirit of this subject. I really enjoyed looking at the photographs and programme titles. I only wish there had been more entries for this fun challenge.
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Postby Pipeman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for the crits Jeff - excellent and entertaining.

Now, about that coin.

Anne - no sculduggery at all, what you see is what I took! No flash. I took about 400 shots (416 to be accurate) this particular afternoon and this is one of them - the coin had done its spin and was about to fall over when I pressed the button. More luck than judgement but then, if you take 400 you're going to get a bit of luck! I had prefocussed and all settings were manual.

It was fun as I did it without help - spun the coin and dashed to the camera on the tripod before the coin fell over or moved away, hence f.11 to maximise DOF. I have about 380 other failed shots to prove this!

Pleased you liked it! :thumbup:

Regarding the cross. Well PS has helped a bit! Shot in RAW with available light in our church. The original is below:
Attachments
CRW_6672-tds explain.jpg
CRW_6672-tds explain.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
A bit like Victor Meldrew.
Pipeman

Postby TekkieAnne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when you took your 416 shots of the coin. It was certainly worth it because it's a superb shot.

As for PS. Just shows what can be done!!!! (Note to myself - start using Photoshop more.)

Two brilliant images there Pipey.
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Postby brian-uk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Well done everyone
brian-uk

Next

Return to Challenges