The May/June Challenge

All about the TDS monthly challenges...

The May/June Challenge

Postby mick » Mon May 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Here's the May/June Challenge Folks :D

This time it's a Challenge with a difference...and the subject is Mr Rabbit!! The object is to use your wildest imagination and manipulation skills to take Mr Rabbit and do whatever you like to produce an original result. All skill levels are welcome and it will be judged on originality and care as much as manipulation skills. You can colour him, you can cut him out and put him wherever you like, give him a few friends, dress him up differently, turn him into a circus performer, a deep sea diver, a rockstar, you can even cut him into mincemeat and post him to the moon...absolutely anything goes as long as it contains some recognisable Mr Rabbit. You can also use any of your own pictures as well as open source interweb images but please don't use copyright material without consent/credit (common sense please, no filth or 18+...we're a family site ;) )
I have given you three different viewpoints to play with, use one, or all three if you like. Follow the link below to download the full size image. When you are finished please upload your entry to the Challenges album.
You have a little more time than usual because I'll be away the first half of June, so we'll run this one up to the 20th. Get busy, have fun and be creative!!
Here's the full size spectacular multi-view version for you to download http://www.thedigitalsite.co.uk/Images/ ... Rabbit.jpg :D
I'll go to the foot of our stairs!
mick

Re: The May/June Challenge

Postby Fogey » Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 am

Only two entries so far? Come on peeps - lets see your imagination/photo-editing skills. :D

Still 20 days to go.
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

http://fogeysplace.co.uk/
Fogey

Postby TekkieAnne » Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 am

Fogey wrote:
Still 20 days to go.

Just as well. (I'm struggling) :roll: :(
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Postby jane_t » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 am

3 entries now - It's ages since I tried this sort of thing.
Jane.
Leave only footprints, and take only photographs.
jane_t

Postby Fogey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 am

Only four entries so far. Just 14 days to go.
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

Fogey

Postby mick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello Peeps....I'm back from holiday, had a good time and there will probably be one or two pics worth showing when I get them off the camera. I see we have a whopping 4 Challenge entries!! The ones we have so far are really great, well done to those entrants!! So come on guys, please have a go and do whatever you can manage? Any level is welcome, you don't have to be a Photoshop genius, it's just for fun!! Looking forward to seeing a few more before we close it at midnight on the 20th June! I have to come up with something myself yet but there's lots of things a bunny can do!! :thumbup: :lol: :thumbup:
mick

Postby mick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 am

Here are the crits and results for the May/June Challenge.
Thanks to the people who decided to take part in our attempt at doing something a little different, hope you enjoyed it :D

Here are the critiques for the (May/June Challenge) Competition.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions; don't be offended by anything I've said. The important thing is whether YOU liked your picture.

There are thumbnail images included in the critiques but if you'd like to see the full size images you may wish to have the competition album open in another browser window or tab and just flip between the two as required.

The critiques presented here are my personal opinions, and should not be construed as being representative of the opinions of the management or membership of The Digital Site.

These critiques are written with the purpose of providing the individual photographers with encouragement and assistance in furthering their photographic skills, and no offence is intended or should be taken by any impression or opinion stated herein. It is also hoped that the presentation of these critiques will entertain as well as enlighten those who read them!

Thank you for taking the time to read these critiques. Do please add to this thread if you disagree with anything I’ve said, or simply have something to say yourself about any of the entries.

Mr Rabbit has come to Spain, by shady marton

Do rabbits need passports?...I suppose they’d need one of those pet-passport things...but what if they aren’t a pet? Mr Rabbit is a free spirit and has decided to visit Spain alone...maybe he just hopped on a plane? This is a simple but effective little scene, I like the way he is looking at the pots and perhaps wondering what’s in there. He’s scaled to fit in the scene naturally and makes up a nice composition. I like this one for its minimal but careful treatment.

Mr Rabbit Goes to Egypt, by jane_t

This is something really different. What do you do with a sand-coloured statue? Answer: put him with some other ones...but with imagination. Great concept here, Mr Rabbit has been upsized enormously simply by fitting him into a picture with the huge figures of Abu Simbel...this is possibly the largest bunny I have ever seen. The angle and perspective of the images has been very well matched so that he is facing just the right direction. The legs have been skilfully blended in to end with the original statue’s feet showing great attention to detail. This works very well indeed.

Mr Rabbit Visits the London EYE, by Mistyman5

I like this. Mr Rabbit has been fully clothed complete with white shoes and placed carefully inside a cabin right at the top of the London Eye. Looks like better weather than when I had a ‘flight’ as they call it. He’s fitted in there nicely and looks perfectly natural in his pose...notice that the arms are re-done so that he is leaning on the inside of the cabin and he’s been carefully scaled to fit just nicely inside the window frames.

Mr Rabbit’s Pond, by Fogey

Lovely little image here...just what you’d expect of a fairytale illustration. All three poses of Mr Rabbit have been used and each one has been carefully cut out, coloured, resized and posed onto what looks like a specially photographed background. I really like the one on the right who is leaning over...and his reflection on the water adds a touch of realism...very nicely done. The fairies ‘from t’internet’ are a great addition and serve to complete the fairytale scene. Much attention to detail has gone into this one.

Vote Rabbit!, by mick

This is my own little rushed last minute contribution, just a touch of whimsy. Why vote Rabbit?...well why not?...he’d be better than what we’ve got! Nuff said.

Altough there are only a few entries this is a very tough one to judge. Each image is very well done and there is much attention to detail throughout. Technical skills and originality must score evenly here. Fogey's entry is, in my opinion, the best from a technical point of view...well done Jeff. Shady did very well with his simple but effective entry, Mistyman also did very well with his depiction of Mr Rabbit enjoying the London Eye. If I could award four first places I would love to do it but I must make a choice.
Based on an even share of technical merit and originality I award the Gold Medal for this Challenge to....
Jane_t with 'Mr Rabbit Goes to Egypt'. Well done !! :D :thumbup: :D
mick

Postby Fogey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Great set of critiques, Mick and I agree with your choice of winner.

Congratulations Jane, great imagination for a well executed image.
Jeff.

Fogey

Postby TekkieAnne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Super critiques Mick and well done to all entrants. I liked all of them.

You might be interested to know that Fogey's garden pond actually looks nothing like that. He took various elements from all four corners of the garden and placed them around the pond. I was amazed when I saw it - familiar yet strange, if you know what I mean.
Anne xx

'I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.' - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

http://www.tecks.co.uk
TekkieAnne

Postby jane_t » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 am

Excellent set of critiques, Mick. There were some great entries and it's an honour to be picked for the "Gold medal". It was fun to get PSE out as I don't use if much these days as the majority of time I just fix my photos in Lightroom.

I was lucky to find one of my shots of Abu Simbel was the same angle as Mr Rabbit. Mind you I have got rather a lot of them :D.
Jane.
Leave only footprints, and take only photographs.
jane_t

Next

Return to Challenges