Help with CS3

Got a question about Photoshop (or any other photo-editing software)? Ask it here.

Help with CS3

Postby Lartamax » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:16 pm

I am fairly new to CS3 and had no problems opening RAW files taken using my Canon 350D. I recently bought a Canon 50D and for some reason get an error message when I try to use CS3 to open the RAW images.
error message: could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document.
Both the images taken with the 350D and the new 50D are CR2 files. The ones taken with the 350 will open but not the 50D. Any suggestions ?.
Lartamax

Re: Help with CS3

Postby Lartamax » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Partial fix. If I open the image with Canons own Digital Photo Professional then go to tools / transfer to photoshop it will open in CS3. Why I cant open CS3 and then the image directly is a mystery but at least I have a way round it.

John.
Lartamax

Postby Fogey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:31 pm

I think you will find there is an add-on that updates the camera models available. Having said that, Gareth (Hatter) swears by Canon's own software for downloading RAW images.
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

http://fogeysplace.co.uk/
Fogey

Postby mickp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Fogey wrote:I think you will find there is an add-on that updates the camera models available. Having said that, Gareth (Hatter) swears by Canon's own software for downloading RAW images.

I had to do this some time ago, I thought it was an update but add-on it probably was, anyway it worked fine. I hope it is still available as Adobe are on to CS5 now. I can't get on with the Canon Raw editor as with most of the other Canon stuff they lumber you with. Long since dumped.
mickp

Postby Lartamax » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look for an update.

Edited to say the update for the 50D and other cameras can be found at http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal ... rte_2.html
Adobe say this will be the last update for CS3. As you can imagine there are some very unhappy customers out there airing their views on the update page. Very unsatisfied that after paying for expensive software adobe is not continuing to support them now they have move to newer versions.
Like Gareth quite a few favour the software provided by Canon.

John.
Lartamax

Postby Pipeman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:45 pm

I think that Mikeyboy had a similar problem a short while ago - there should be a thread somewhere.

After that I looked at the Canon software, and found ZoombrowserEX both easy and efficient, giving much better colours.
A bit like Victor Meldrew.
Pipeman

Return to Photoshop Help