Anyone use Bridge?

Got a question about Photoshop (or any other photo-editing software)? Ask it here.

Anyone use Bridge?

Postby Hatter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:17 pm

As some of you will know, I'm the competition secretary at my local camera club and this obviously involves digital projection of images for judging. There are a number of programs that can be used to display images on screen & move on to the next one with a key press. What I have problems with though, is when the judge wants to hold a number of images back until the end. Scrolling through all the images to find the right ones is far from ideal.

However, Adobe Bridge seems to have the ideal solution. I've got it set so it displays images full screen on a black background and loops back to the beginning when it gets to the end. As we go through the images I can then use the "rating" system to mark images that the judge wants to see again. When the judge says the magic words "I'll see that one later" I can press CMD-5 to rate the image with 5 stars. Then when we get to the end, I can filter the view to show only the 5 star images. That all works perfectly, apart from one "glitch".

That glitch is as follows: As soon as I rate an image, the file name and the number of stars are displayed in a grey box in the bottom left of the screen. When we move on to the next image, the grey box stays there, with the new file name and 5 dots representing the star rating that I haven't given yet. Depending on the size / shape of the image, the grey box can intrude into the image itself, which is obviously unsatisfactory.

I'm sure there must be some way of turning the box off, but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Gareth

Example of what I mean - see bottom left corner:
Hatter
Site Admin

Re: Anyone use Bridge?

Postby Fogey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:32 pm

I've tried to replicate your problem without success, Gareth. Are you sure the fault lies with Bridge? What program do you use to display the image on a black screen. Does the problem lie there?
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

http://fogeysplace.co.uk/
Fogey

Postby Hatter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks, Jeff.
I'm just using Bridge.
Navigate to a folder of images - select the first one, then press CMD-L (or CTRL-L on Windows) to display the first image full screen.
The cursor keys can be used to move between the images.
Then press CMD-5 (or CTRL-5 on Windows) to rate one as 5 stars. The grey box with the filename & star rating appear in the lower left corner.
Hatter
Site Admin

Postby Fogey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:11 pm

I can't see any way to stop that either, Gareth. The only thing I can suggest is to work around the problem.

Move the selected images to a new folder, remove the star rating and show them again.
Jeff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up discretionary, laughing at yourself positively therapeutic.

Fogey

Postby Hatter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Sadly that won't help, Jeff.
It's not the display of the held back images that's the problem - in fact once I've quit slideshow mode, filtered the view to just the 5 star images and re-entered slideshow mode, the display is fine.
The problem is that the first time I rate an image, the box appears and then stays there for all subsequent images.
Hatter
Site Admin

Postby Fogey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Hmmm! I take your point.
Jeff.

Fogey

Postby Fogey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Well I've had a good look Gareth and I can't find the answer. Sorry.
Jeff.

Fogey

Postby Hatter » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Ah well..... that makes two of us then!
Thanks for looking, Jeff.
Hatter
Site Admin

Return to Photoshop Help