Smudges on Images

Got a question about your camera? Ask it here.

Smudges on Images

Postby mickp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:32 am

My son is in India at the moment with his Canon 350D DSLR and he is complaining of smudges on his images. He cleans the sensor and they go away only to reappear the nexr day and he has to clean the sensor again. He says the humidiy is 85% - could this be the problem and has anyone had this problem and got any advice. Thanks in advance
mickp

Re: Smudges on Images

Postby mick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

mickp wrote:My son is in India at the moment with his Canon 350D DSLR and he is complaining of smudges on his images. He cleans the sensor and they go away only to reappear the nexr day and he has to clean the sensor again. He says the humidiy is 85% - could this be the problem and has anyone had this problem and got any advice. Thanks in advance

I know this is a problem Mick, I've come across it before. One of the biggest culprits is air-con. If you take the camera into an air-conditioned room, bedroom or restaurant etc, then take it outside into high humidity then water will condense wherever it can on the cooler surfaces. Even a normal room temperature will lead to this as soon as you go outside. The only advice I could offer would be to take the camera out of its bag and let it acclimatise before using it....oh and tell your son to wipe the curry off the lens :lol:
I'll go to the foot of our stairs!
mick

Postby Pipeman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Had this problem years ago with a video camera - did it in and we blamed the humidity and air con.

I took the video tape to a lab when we got home and they salvaged some of it for me but the camera was never the same again and it went into a cupboard as U/S. A pity as it was a top of the range Sony Hi-8 camera which produced magnificent movies.

Mick's advice regarding acclimatisation is the way to go, or so we were told at the time.

Good luck with it.
A bit like Victor Meldrew.
Pipeman

Postby mickp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for your advice which I have passed on to him. He is a bit of a messy eater so it could well be the curry!
mickp

Postby Reiner » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Before bringing the camera into the aircon, put it in a plastic bag with sachets of silica gel and seal the bag. This should keep the camera moisture free until the next outing. If images need to be checked on a laptop, take the card out of the camera before sealing it in the bag.
Reiner

Postby mickp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Forward planning is a great thing but I doubt he has any silica gel with him but he may be able to compromise. I suggested wrapping the camera in a towel. Anyway he is off to the Old Maharajah's Palace today so I await results.
mickp

Postby Reiner » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am

I doubt that many people would even think about the differences in humidy and forward plan. I hope he gets some wonderful images that will give a lifetime of memories. After all, that's what photography is all about for most of us, isn't it?
Reiner

Return to Camera Help